How to fix WiFi network list is not displayed?
When you’re at Home or outside, WIFI device is turned ON, a list of WiFi networks will get displayed.
Click the WIFI network from the list, Select Connect, Key in the Password, If authentication validations is passed, will get connect to WIFI network.
- If you don’t see the WIFI Icon, Select No internet connection icon on the task bar and try to turn on, ensure that Airplane Mode is turned OFF.
- In Search bar, type in WI-FI Settings, Click on Show available networks or Manage Known Networks, select the network, Click connect.
- Some laptops have physical Wi‑Fi switch on to right side or front side Turn ON Switch.
- Install the updated drivers downloading from the PC manufacture site.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What if you’re connected to WIFI Device no internet on device?
- 2 How to Resolve a problem if WI-FI keep disconnecting?
- 3 Testing wifi Signal Strength with apps
- 4 Platform/Operating System RSSI Test Tool
- 5 Tips For Fine Tuning Your Wi-Fi Coverage
- 6 Best Locations for Place WIFI Routers
- 7 How to find WIFI Signal Strength in Windows Computer?
- 8 Mac Is not Connecting to Wi-Fi
What if you’re connected to WIFI Device no internet on device?
- Open command prompt Window (CMD) type in ipconfig/all
- Check the WiFi adaptor has an Valid IP address and DNS IP address listed. Write down the listed IP.
- In Command prompt Window (CMD) Type in the command
- Ping Ip address of DNS and see the output result shows
- Reply from IP address or Request Time out.
- If you get Request time out, ping the IP 184.108.40.206 or ping 4.2..2.2
- Then problem is that internet services are not working, Contact your Internet service Provider(ISP) and log a compliant.
- Try this step before calling your ISP. Sometimes, shutting down the home broadband device and Powering on the device after a 2minutes will resolve the problem.
If internet is working on Mobile device and other home PC’s, only your PC is having problem wifi not connected.
- Remove the WIFI listing from your laptop,
- WI-FI Settings, Click on Show available networks or Manage Known Networks, select the network, Click Forget.
- Turn off the WiFi device and turn on, should get list of wifi devices, click on device, connect key in correct password if not will get authentication problem for wifi.
- In command prompt type in ipconfig/flushdns should remove all old DNS entries
- Always good to clear Cache on computer which resolves most of the problem, check this post how to clear computer cache?
How to Resolve a problem if WI-FI keep disconnecting?
In your laptop Wifi device keep disconnecting, this could be problem with your WIFI signal range not constant and varies due to external object interference.
If Signal Strength is good, but still Wifi device keep disconnecting, problem could be hardware, Install the latest version of BIOS and Device drivers. For latest version of drivers, check manufacture website.
Best Signal Strength in dbm
- -30 dBm : A device will get maximum signal strength and device should be couple of feet’s away from Wi-Fi router.
- -50 dBm : Signal Strength range between -30 dBm to -50 dBm is excellent.
- -67 dBm : Signal Strength with a lowest value that most online services will work on devices.
- -80 dBm : Signal Strength is the lowest value that will make a connection between the router and computer, but the signal is too weak and not useful for any online service and see data buffering.
Testing wifi Signal Strength with apps
There are many software’s available to measure the WiFi
1) Wi-Fi Analyser*
2) Nirsoft Wi-fiInfoView*
3) Xirrus WiFi inspector
5) Acrylic Wifi Professional
8) AirPort Utility
Platform/Operating System RSSI Test Tool
- Apple iOS Apple AirPort Utility
- Mac Built-in option – no download required
- Android Wifi Analyzer App by Farproc
- Windows Wifi Analyzer App by Matt Haffner
Tips For Fine Tuning Your Wi-Fi Coverage
- Old devices have legacy radio technology. While Wi-Fi has great backwards compatibility, you really need to upgrade wifi router. Legacy device hold back the performance of the entire network. If you have less than 802.11n (Wi-Fi 4) and/or your device only supports 2.4 GHz your options are slim. We suggest considering upgrading to a newer model that supports 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) or the latest technology 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6).
- Try first limiting 5 GHz channels using 36 through 48 and 149 to 161 if possible on your Wi-Fi router.
- Walls and large furniture are examples of things that limit Wi-Fi coverage usable range. 5 GHz also doesn’t cover as wide of a distance, but 2.4 GHz is rarely worth
- As RF signal conditions worsen, the maximum throughput on user device operating at distances with low speeds will negatively affect all users
- Radio frequency channels used by Wi-Fi are shared with everyone. If certain channels are in your proximity you need to find new ones. Non-Wi-Fi devices may also use these channels and testing will not report those, but this is rare at 5 GHz. Try multiple channels to test performance.
Best Locations for Place WIFI Routers
How to find WIFI Signal Strength in Windows Computer?
In Search bar Type in command prompt, Right click on command prompt application and run as Administrator.
Type in the command netsh wlan show interfaces
In this command output, Signal strength is 40% from SSID [email protected]
Mac Is not Connecting to Wi-Fi
On you Mac, open spotlight and type in wireless diagnostics.
if any issue detects, error shown and guide steps how to resolve
Easy Method to fix WIFI disconnecting problem. Disconnecting and reconnecting to your Wi-Fi. If that doesn’t do the trick, you can also try forgetting your network and connecting again. Follow the steps
- Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen.
- Select System Preferences.
- Click on Network.
- Click Advanced.
- Under Preferred Networks,
- select your Wi-Fi network and then click on the minus icon below the preferred networks.
- Connect to your Wi-Fi connection again.