For windows 10 OS, the following steps will show backing up iPhone data to external hard drive.
- First connect the external hard drive to your computer, then created an iPhone backup using the regular iTunes sync method to the default location.
- Open the iPhone default location of store backups ; C:Users[Username]AppDataRoamingApple ComputerMobileSyncBackup,
You should replace [Username] with your own actual username.
- rename the existing folder to “Backup_old”, now hold the shift key and click the right mouse button and select open command window, enter the command
mklink /J “%APPDATA%Apple ComputerMobileSyncBackup” “[External Drive]:iTunes Backup”
You should replace [External Drive] with actual drive letter.
Now the path will be set to your external drive which something looks like this : E:MyBackupsiTunes Backup.
- Close the command prompt window, Start the iPhone backup and should works fine.
For MacOS the above steps are similar but one chang with the folders paths.
- Standard default path ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/.
- Rename the existing folder and then open terminal, enter the command.
- ln -s /Volumes/[External Drive]/MobileSync/Backup ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
- Close the terminal and Start the iPhone backup and should works fine.
The advantage of having data in external drive are to keep your data safe and kept in safe location, even your computer fails with server damage and also keep your hard drive free up on your computer.
please remember to back up your phone regularly once in a week or a month, based on your regular data store.