Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) is an extensible recovery platform based on Windows Pre-installation Environment (Windows PE). When the computer fails to start, Windows automatically fails over into this environment, and the Startup Repair tool in Windows RE automates the diagnosis and repair of an unbootable Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 installation.
Windows Recovery Environment provides the following benefits:
- Automatic repair of common root causes of not bootable operating system installations.
- Customized recovery tools to Windows Recovery Environment.
- Tool can be used automatically or manually.
- Provides diagnostic and repair logs.
When working with Windows Recovery Environment,the following options to be noted:
- When launching Windows RE from hard disk by using the F8 advanced boot options screen, users are required to use a local user name and password for authentication. To gain access to the Command Prompt window, the built-in administrator account must be used.Any local user can gain access to tools such as System Restore and the customized recovery application from the list of manual tools.
- By default, networking is turned off in Windows RE. Applications can turn on networking dynamically.if needed but are advised to disable it when network connectivity is no longer needed.
Windows 7 Startup Repair will try to repair computers that are unbootable because of the following reasons:
- registry corruption
- missing or damaged system and driver files
- disk metadata corruption (MBR, partition table, and boot sector)
- file system metadata corruption
- installation of problematic or incompatible drivers
- installation of incompatible Windows service packs and patches
- corrupt boot configuration data
- bad memory and hard disk hardware (detection only).
Startup Repair will not repair unbootable systems caused by the following issues:
- Malfunctioning firmware and other hardware components
- problems with Windows installations or Windows upgrades (ex:from Windows XP to Windows Vista or to Windows 7)
- Windows logon errors and viruses and malicious software.
When you encounter the above problems then Windows Recovery Environment tool will help you to fix computer.
How to start Windows Recovery Environment?
To access Windows Recovery Environment by pressing F8 while the computer is booting and select the Recovery Environment entry, which boots computer into Windows RE.However, if the boot partition/files or configuration was somehow messed up, you could use the operating system’s bootable DVD media to launch it.
Login with administrator account then you view the list of Windows Recovery Tools.
The Listed tools helps in recovering your corrupted windows 7 system.