You will Learn to fix
- USB Pen drive error windows was unable to complete the format.
- unable to format USB pen drive from command prompt : fdisk
- Third Party utilities unable format the pen drive
One of my Transcend USB Pen Drive started to show up this error,when try to format : windows was unable to complete the format. To fix USB Pen drive Error was looking for a tool to fix.
I tried different methods to format,from command prompt, Windows, Disk manager and third party utilities but could not succeed in formatting the USB Pen Drive. Finally I thought the drive must be corrupted and dead, should throw Transcend USB Pen Drive away as of no use.
Since the Transcend USB Pen Drive was with me for more than 4 years,attachment could not be broken easily.I started to dig what could be the reason for Transcend USB Pen Drive to go faulty, as i was searching deeper,understood that USB Drive should be protected against
- When not using the flash drive and keeping in your bag or desk, be sure to cover it with a cap to prevent the accumulation of dusts and contaminants on the contacts.
- Do not expose your flash drive to to extreme temperatures, humidity or pressure will keep your drive functioning longer.
- Never remove the flash drive out of the USB port while it is still in operation. Properly “Eject” the drive (Do a right click on the USB drive and select “Eject”) before removing it from your computer.
- Do not leave it plugged to the computer for pro-longed period of time. If not in use unplug it from your system.
The Steps I followed to recover Transcend USB Pen Drive
- Download Chip Genius software https://www.usbdev.ru/files/chipgenius/ Extract zip file and run the exe file
- Plugin in your corrupted Transcend USB Pen Drive, you should see the complete details of the USB Manufacture, chip Vendor,serial number, part number and Make.
- You write down the chip Vendor details as required for download the required tool
- Open up this website https://www.usbdev.ru/files/smi/smimptool/ find the chip vendor, in my case it is SMI Chip Vendor and chip Part number is SM3255AB, Download the latest version software, extract the tool
- Remove the USB Drive, before launching the tool, plug in and tool should detect as shown in the image.
- On the Tool click on start, this will start to rebuild your pen drive.
- Once tool completes the Repair, you can now format the drive and start storing your files and folder on the USB Pen drive.
If you find difficulty in understanding my steps, you can follow steps on this video.